With your moving day right around the corner, it’s time to get packing! This can seem like an overwhelming thought. We have put together a few ideas to help you and your movers with this process. We always suggest you use proper materials when packing, then double and triple tape the boxes to ensure security of items. You will want to have your boxes marked, closed, taped and ready to go when the movers arrive because every minute counts! We want to make your moving process as easy and efficient as possible.
It may sound like a simple idea, but when boxes are labeled appropriately, it makes the unloading and unpacking process flow smoothly. A few minutes of careful labeling can save you hours of time!
Here are a few tips to follow on how you can label each your boxes.
Label Using Colors
- Use colored duct tape or stickers to label their boxes.
- Marking your boxes with the color stickers on top and on at least 3 of its sides.
- Making a “room color key” and placing it at the bottom of the stairs and main entrance door is also a great idea.
- Or place the corresponding stickers on top of the door and leading upstairs.
For example, on Lee’s move he marked all fragile boxes with YELLOW tape to help keep them separate and safe. Then he marked boxes for the master bedroom with RED tape, Billy’s room with BLUE tape, and Charlotte’s room with GREEN tape. His children loved being able to identify their boxes and it allowed them to help be a part of the process. It also made it extremely quick for the movers to place the boxes accurately and efficiently.
Label Using Markers
- Make it easy to read, not just for you but for your movers too
- Writing should be on the top and at least 3 of the sides so no matter which way the box is turned we can easily tell what’s inside and where it should be placed.
- Pens and pencils are hard to read! Using a large black permanent marker will show up the best
- Use abbreviations, such as LR for living room, to shorten how much you’re having to write
- Don’t forget to separate *fragile* and *breakable items* and clearly mark boxes
Whether you decide to label your boxes using markers or colored tape, both great methods and will make your move go fast and easy. Taking the time to properly label and prepare your boxes will save you money and stress. We hope these ideas help you with some of your moving woes. Please let us know how we can help you with your next move!